Chinese food is popular take-away dish enjoyed by millions all over the world, but have you ever thought of adding a pest inspired twist to it?
Packed full of flavour and loaded with protein, our locust fried rice recipe will certainly get your taste buds going.
To make our locust fried rice you will need:
- 2 tsp of oil
- 1 medium sized egg, beaten
- Mushrooms, chopped
- 40 roasted locust (or if you prefer, you can substitute with roasted Mopane worms)*
- 200g of frozen peas
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Small knob of fresh root ginger, grated
- 2 tsp soy sauce, plus extra to serve
- 1 tsp sugar
- 250g of cooked basmati rice.
- A wok or frying pan
- Wooden Spoon
- Heat the oil in the frying pan or wok over a medium heat and add the beaten egg.
- Leave the egg to cook for 30 seconds – 1 minute
- Remove egg from pan, finely slice and set to one side.
- Add the locust (or mopane worms) and the mushrooms to pan and fry for Â± 3 minutes until golden.
- Introduce the peas, garlic and ginger to the bacon and locust and cook together for 1 minute.
- Mix the soy sauce and sugar together and set to one side.
- Turn up the heat of the pan and add the cooked rice and heat through.
- Splash in the soy sauce and sugar mixture as well as the egg and stir through
- Serve straight away and add more soy sauce to taste.
*When consuming insects make sure these are organically farmed insects that are fit for human consumption.
Not sure if you would like to try fried rice with locust? Why not visit us at our pop up Pestaurant and have a taste!