There are plenty of old wives tales about different treatments you can use to keep unwelcome visitors out of your garden and home.
Although Rentokil South Africa does not offer wildlife management services, below are some tips - many of which are common sense - which may help deter unwelcome wildlife.
- Keep dustbins sealed and secured so animals cannot access the content.
- Keep your lawn clear of natural debris as this may provide bedding for wildlife tempted to nest in nearby overgrown areas in your garden. The collection of bedding will leave an obvious trail as they drag it into their cover.
- A fence will deter some wildlife from entering your garden.
- Keep lawns in good condition. If the grass is regularly mowed and raked, well-drained and aerated then that will reduce the chances of insects laying eggs which will, in turn, attract foraging wildlife. It’s also worth removing moss and overhanging vegetation which can lead to damp areas that make perfect breeding conditions for insect larvae.
- To prevent other wildlife getting into your home, plug all gaps around the perimeter of your property. You need to be thorough as pests like slugs have no bones and can squeeze through the tiniest of holes.
If you have implemented the above prevention tips, and further require wildlife assistance, your local SPCA will be able to help.